Los Angeles Campaign Coordinator
Los Angeles, CA
JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) is dedicated to cutting the US correctional population in half by 2030. Guided by the principle that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution, JLUSA empowers people most affected by mass incarceration to lead policy reform.
JLUSA seeks a driven and energetic Los Angeles Campaign Coordinator to anchor JustLeadershipUSA’s partnership in the #JusticeLA campaign, which is fighting the L.A. County Jail Expansion. The Los Angeles Campaign Coordinator will work with JLUSA’s National Advocacy Team to build grassroots power and mobilize directly impacted communities across Los Angeles in support of the campaign. The Los Angeles Campaign Coordinator will play a key role in developing and advancing campaign strategy.
JLUSA seeks a Campaign Coordinator with experience in grassroots, policy and legislative advocacy efforts, who has strong coalition building, membership-development, direct-action and event planning skills to fill this dynamic role. The ideal candidate is deeply committed to JLUSA’s mission, flexible, collaborative, and works effectively in a fast-paced environment. With our bold, thoughtful, and rigorous efforts, the right candidate will have the opportunity to help deliver a profound impact on the system of mass criminalization and mass incarceration.
The LA Campaign Coordinator will report to the National Lead Organizer and work closely with JLUSA staff, membership and partner organizations to build the movement to reach #halfby2030.
- Development and implementation of strategy for the #JusticeLA campaign including campaign landscaping, and work-plan development
- Grassroots organizing – developing campaign membership and the leadership of individuals directly impacted by mass incarceration
- Building and maintaining strategic partnerships with organizations and networks across Los Angeles County, and potentially state wide
- Public education and community engagement
- Legislative advocacy and engagement of elected officials
- Planning and executing creative events, direct-actions, and lobby days.
- Supervising staff, interns and/or volunteers, and collaborating with staff and/or volunteers remotely
- Identifying and reporting responsibilities and successes
- Flexibility for travel and ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Timely and organized reporting
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following skills & experience:
- 2+ years of community organizing (required)
- Working knowledge of Los Angeles and California political workings and advocacy landscape
- Employing grassroots strategies for social change, including base-building and developing directly impacted leadership
- Building organizational partnerships and working on coalition-based policy/advocacy campaigns
- Knowledge of and interest in criminal justice reform, including a serious commitment to ending mass incarceration
- Comfort working collaboratively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, as well as working independently on specific projects
- High energy, strong interpersonal, public speaking and problem-solving skills;
- Computer-skills proficiency (Microsoft suite, Google suite, client management systems) preferred
Please send your resume, salary requirement, and cover letter detailing your interest in JustLeadershipUSA and the role of Los Angeles Campaign Coordinator to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the Subject Line: Los Angeles Campaign Coordinator.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
JustLeadershipUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status. JustLeadershipUSA values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. People with criminal justice records are encouraged to apply. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about JustLeadershipUSA, visit our website at www.justleadershipUSA.org