Statewide Community Organizer
JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) is dedicated to cutting the US correctional population in half by 2030. On the guiding principle that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution, JLUSA empowers people most affected by incarceration to drive policy reform. JLUSA was launched in November 2014.
JLUSA seeks a driven, inspired, and energetic Community Organizer to join its #WORKINGfuture campaign, an advocacy effort to eliminate barriers to employment for people with criminal records. The Community Organizer will work with JLUSA’s dynamic team to mobilize support in communities impacted by mass criminalization. The Community Organizer will be a self-starter who helps develop local leadership and promote participation in efforts that directly challenge the myriad barriers to employment as well as the consequences of stigmatization for people with criminal records.
The ideal candidate is an experienced organizer who has worked on grassroots advocacy and legislative campaigns. The ideal candidate is committed to JLUSA’s mission, is flexible and effective in a fast-paced environment, and possesses a great sense of humor. This is not an office-based job. The candidate will be spending time in the community, identifying, engaging, and developing the leadership of members who have been impacted by the criminal justice system.
With our bold and ambitious goal and unique theory of change, this is an exciting professional opportunity; the right candidate can have a significant impact on redefining justice in the United States.
JLUSA’s Community Organizer reports to the #WORKINGfuture campaign coordinator and will work closely with members and partner organizations to eliminate barriers to employment for people with criminal records.
- Assist the #WORKINGfuture campaign coordinator in developing and executing targeted base-building efforts and campaign member development;
- Lead street outreach and other community-based canvassing;
- Assist in leading direct action;
- Utilize online tools to identify members and integrate them into campaigns;
- Measure and track outcomes;
- Create leadership opportunities for members that provide opportunities for responsibility, skills development, and ownership of the work;
- Target existing statewide JLUSA members and LwC fellows, and integrate them into campaign process;
- Identify and cultivate leaders from within the supporter and member network.
- Previous experience community organizing preferred, a demonstrated commitment to activism and mobilizing communities required;
- Experience developing members into leaders and employing grassroots strategies for social change;
- Experience working on coalition-based campaigns to effect policy change.
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- Basic knowledge of and interest in criminal justice reform, including a serious commitment to ending mass incarceration;
- Meaningful ties to the community and community driven policy reform;
- High energy, strong interpersonal, public speaking and problem-solving skills, and an outgoing personality and willingness to take risks is essential to succeeding in this position;
- Basic computer skills, including ability to use the internet, email, word processing (e.g. Microsoft Word) and spreadsheets (e.g. Excel) programs;
- Comfort working with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment;
- Experience working in Michigan preferred, but not required;
- Collaborative instincts, sense of humor, and charm.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample detailing your interest in JustLeadershipUSA and the role of Job Title to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Last Name, First Name, Job Title.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
JustLeadershipUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status. JustLeadershipUSA values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. People with criminal justice records are encouraged to apply. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about JustLeadershipUSA, visit our websites at www.justleadershipUSA.org