Lead National Organizer
JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) is dedicated to cutting the US correctional population in half by 2030. On the guiding principle that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution, JLUSA empowers people most affected by incarceration to drive policy reform. JLUSA was launched in November 2014.
JLUSA seeks a driven, inspired, and energetic Lead National Organizer. The Lead National Organizer will work with JLUSA’s dynamic team to mobilize directly impacted communities across the country in support of advocacy campaigns to end mass incarceration. The ideal candidate is an experienced organizer who has worked on grassroots, policy and advocacy campaigns. This position will involve managing organizing staff, campaign leaders, and coordinating with partner organizations, as well as JLUSA’s national base of directly impacted Fellows and leaders; thus, a history of demonstrated leadership is essential.
The ideal candidate is committed to JLUSA’s mission, is flexible and effective in a fast-paced environment, and possesses a great sense of humor. With our bold and ambitious goal and unique theory of change, the right candidate can have a significant impact on redefining justice in America. In addition, the Lead National Organizer will work to organize formerly incarcerated leaders from across the United States into a powerful force for change, while developing and managing innovative campaigns in multiple cities.
JLUSA’s Lead National Organizer reports to the Chief of Strategic Initiatives and works closely with our campaign partners and members to build a movement to reach #halfby2030.
- Work with the Chief of Strategic Initiatives, Advocacy team, and Policy team to develop and execute strategy for national criminal justice reform agenda, including political landscaping and lobbying;
- Develop and implement organizing curricula as part of JLUSA’s leadership training;
- Partner with JLUSA’s leaders and members to learn about on the ground developments in criminal justice reform across the United States;
- Build partnerships with criminal justice advocacy organizations;
- Develop, launch and coordinate multiple campaigns in different jurisdictions;
- Cultivate and drive outreach efforts to build membership and identify leaders within the supporter and member network;
- Manage staff, interns, volunteers, including staff working remotely;
- Identify, measure, track and be accountable for personal outcomes and outcomes for subordinates; and,
- Create leadership opportunities for JLUSA leaders and members.
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- 5-7 years of community organizing experience (required);
- Ability to develop leaders and employing grassroots strategies for social change;
- Ability to work on coalition-based campaigns to effect national policy change;
- Ability to collaborate with remote staff and/or volunteers;
- Ability to supervise staff, interns/volunteers (required);
- Knowledge of and interest in criminal justice reform, including a serious commitment to end mass incarceration;
- Ability to develop relationships with community leaders around the country and collaborate on community driven policy reform;
- Knowledge of federal policy-making;
- High energy, strong interpersonal, public speaking and problem-solving skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite and Internet use; and,
- Comfort working with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, and working independently on specific projects.
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in JustLeadershipUSA and the role of Lead National Organizer. In addition, include a writing sample of no more than five pages, and three references to email@example.com with subject line: Last Name, First Name, Lead National Organizer.
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. The deadline for responding to this job posting is October 13, 2018. Although JustLeadershipUSA is based in New York City, the opportunity to work remotely can be discussed on a case-by-case basis.
JustLeadershipUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
JustLeadershipUSA values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about JustLeadershipUSA, visit our website at www.justleadershipUSA.org