Milwaukee Campaign Coordinator
JLUSA seeks a driven and energetic Lead Organizer in Milwaukee to coordinate the #CLOSEmsdf campaign, aimed at shuttering the Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility, in partnership with JLUSA’s national #DEMANDfreedom campaign. The Milwaukee Lead Organizer will work with JLUSA’s National Advocacy Team to build grassroots power and mobilize directly impacted communities across Milwaukee in support of the campaign. The Milwaukee Lead Organizer will play a key role in developing and advancing campaign strategy.
JLUSA seeks a Lead Organizer with experience in grassroots, policy and legislative advocacy efforts, who has strong coalition building, membership-development, direct-action and event planning skills to fill this dynamic role. The ideal candidate is deeply committed to JLUSA’s mission, flexible, collaborative, and works effectively in a fast-paced environment. With our bold and ambitious mission and unique theory of change, the right candidate will have a significant impact on redefining justice in America.
The Milwaukee Lead Organizer will report to the National Lead Organizer and work closely with JLUSA staff, membership and partner organizations to build the movement to reach #halfby2030.
• Development and implementation of strategy for the #CLOSEmsdf Campaign including campaign landscaping, and work-plan development
• Grassroots organizing – developing campaign membership and the leadership of individuals directly impacted by mass incarceration
• Building and maintaining strategic partnerships with organizations and networks across Wisconsin
• Public education and community engagement
• Legislative advocacy and engagement of elected officials
• Planning and executing creative events, direct-actions, and lobby days.
• Supervising staff, interns and/or volunteers, and collaborating with staff and/or• volunteers remotely• Identifying and reporting responsibilities and successes
• Flexibility for travel and ability to work some evenings and weekends
• Timely and organized reporting
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following skills & experience:
• 2+ years of community organizing (required)
• Employing grassroots strategies for social change, including base-building and developing directly impacted leadership
• Building organizational partnerships and working on coalition-based policy/advocacy campaigns
• Knowledge of and interest in criminal justice reform, including a serious commitment to ending mass incarceration
• Comfort working collaboratively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, as well as working independently on specific projects
• High energy, strong interpersonal, public speaking and problem-solving skills;
• Computer-skills proficiency (Microsoft suite, Google suite, client management systems) preferred