NYC Community Organizer
JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) is dedicated to cutting the US correctional population in half by 2030. On the guiding principle that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution, JLUSA empowers people most affected by incarceration to drive policy reform.
JLUSA seeks driven, inspired, and energetic Community Organizer. The Community Organizer will work with JLUSA’s dynamic team to build grassroots political power in communities impacted by mass incarceration, through developing leadership and promoting participation in efforts to reform the criminal justice system, particularly JLUSA’s campaign to close #CLOSErikers.
The ideal candidate is an experienced organizer who has worked on grassroots, policy and advocacy campaigns. The ideal candidate is committed to JLUSA’s mission, is flexible and effective in a fast-paced environment, and possesses a great sense of humor. This is not an office-based job. The ideal candidate will be spending time in the community, identifying and developing members who have been impacted by the criminal justice system.
With our bold and ambitious goal and unique theory of change, this is an exciting professional opportunity; the right candidate can have a significant impact on redefining justice in America.
JLUSA’s Community Organizer reports to the Lead Organizer and works closely with our campaign partners and members to build a movement to reach #halfby2030.
- Assist the NYC Campaign Coordinator in developing and executing targeted base-building efforts and campaign member development;
- Lead street outreach and other community-based canvassing;
- Utilize online tools to identify members and integrate them into campaigns;
- Measure and track outcomes;
- Create leadership opportunities for members that provide opportunities for responsibility, skills development, and ownership of the work;
- Identify and cultivate leaders from within the supporter and member network;
- And other responsibilities as identified.
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- Previous experience community organizing preferred, a demonstrated commitment to activism and mobilizing communities required;
- Experience developing members into leaders and employing grassroots strategies for social change;
- Experience working on coalition-based campaign to effect policy change;
- Basic knowledge of and interest in criminal justice reform, including a serious commitment to ending mass incarceration;
- Deep and meaningful ties to the community and community driven policy reform;
- High energy, strong interpersonal, public speaking and problem-solving skills- an outgoing personality and willingness to take risks is essential to succeeding in this position;
- Basic computer skills, including ability to use the internet, email, word processing (e.g. Microsoft Word) and spreadsheets (e.g. Excel) programs;
- Comfort working with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment;
- Experience working in New York City and State preferred, but not required;
- Collaborative instincts, sense of humor, and charm.
Please send a resume, cover letter explaining interest in JustLeadershipUSA, and list of three references to email@example.com with subject line: Last Name, First Name, Community Organizer.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
JustLeadershipUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status. JustLeadershipUSA values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out ou mission.
For more information about JustLeadershipUSA, visit our website at www.justleadershipUSA.org